What do you want to change about Middlebury?

Keep Graduation Outside!!

Everyone has family that is coming or is already here for graduation, and they didn't come to watch us walk from a screen in McCullough. Let's keep graduation outside and just bear the weather so that all of our families can be there! We are MiddKids after all, we've been training for this for the past four years..

399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Senior GuySenior Guy shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KBurchfielKBurchfiel commented  · 

Weather forecast is perhaps looking up. NWS now says for Sunday:
        "Rain likely, mainly before 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 54. North wind 11 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."
        It could easily change back, but perhaps if this were the forecast they had in mind they would have kept the event outside.

Another weather site (NWS) says:
        "Rain, mainly before 1pm. High near 45. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."
        Maybe they're concerned about the tents blowing down.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It's not too dangerous. This is bullshit.

• Oscar PortilloOscar Portillo commented  · 

There is a tent outside. People mor susceptible to the weather (elderly and toddlers) could be under that tent. But like "Senior guy" said, These people who cannot accompany us outside can watch indoors.
        Or we could get another tent -even if we have to pay some extra money.

Maybe the reason why they haven't sent out tickets yet is because they're still thinking it over.

• Anonymous commented  · 

The announcements say that commencement "will be held outside, rain or shine. Please come prepared for any type of weather."

• Hilary CrewHilary Crew commented  · 

There's a livestream in McCullough regardless.. think about cases of extreme heat or things like that.

• Senior GuySenior Guy commented  · 

Hi, Amelia. We definitely agree, but even when commencement is held outside, there are still live streams held inside in accessible and warm environments for those that are unable to watch outside.

"Tickets - Do we need them for Baccalaureate or Commencement?
        The College hosts an outdoor Commencement ceremony to meet our graduates’ desire for all of their family, friends, and guests to attend. It is held outside rain or shine. Tickets are not required for Commencement Weekend events. There is no limit on the number of guests a graduate may invite; however, some indoor events have limited capacity.

For the Baccalaureate Service in Mead Chapel, attendance on the ground floor is limited to graduating seniors only (including Feb ‘13s, Feb 14’s and those completing degree requirements after May 2013 but by February 2014). Seating for parents and family is available in the balcony on a first come, first served basis. Guests may also watch a live broadcast of the ceremony in either McCullough Social Space or Dana Auditorium in the Sunderland Language Center."

• AmeliaAmelia commented  · 

We Middkids may be prepared to bear the weather, but there are many guests, elderly, sick, or injured, who would be more comfortable inside. Livestreams in other viewing areas would enable people to watch the ceremony while remaining warm and dry.

• Hilary CrewHilary Crew commented  · 

Everybody that votes - please email too! Let's get this message out there!

• Shannon MuscatelloShannon Muscatello commented  · 

Dear President Liebowitz, Dean Collado, and the rest of the Middlebury College administrative body,

At the end of the Class of 2013 Photo, we were told collectively (although informally) that instead of being held outside as advertised, our graduation ceremony would be moved indoors due to the potential for inclement weather. In addition, we were told that, due to limited indoor space, we would be allowed only two tickets for guests to the indoor ceremony.

I understand the wish to keep everyone dry, warm, and comfortable. I understand fire codes and safety rules requiring a cap on the indoor ceremony. However, when faced with the option of graduating indoors, without my full family present, or outdoors, perhaps in the rain but surrounded by loved ones, my choice is an easy one. And, judging by the cries of outrage of others at the announcement, I am not alone.

Many of us have flown in multiple family members for the occasion. Many of us have siblings, aunts, uncles, and grandparents that have taken time from their normal schedules to witness this event, and many of those family members have done so at considerable expense. They did this with the understanding that the ceremony would be outdoors regardless of weather, and that as such their ability to be present as diplomas are received and tassels flipped was never in question. And now it is.

I strongly urge you to reconsider this decision, and take into account the voice of the student class – it is our graduation, after all. Rain or shine, hot or cold, when I receive my diploma, I want my family and friends by my side.

Best,
        YOUR NAME HERE

Feedback and Knowledge Base