We the Middkids

Enter your petition below! After writing the title, you will be prompted to enter a more detailed description. The title will appear on the We the Middkids homepage and the description will appear once it is clicked on. Petitions that include profane or offensive content will be removed and the user will be blocked from creating new petitions.

What do you want to change about Middlebury?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Required Textbooks Available at Library

Did you know the College's current policy forbids the library from purchasing all textbooks, even those required on syllabi?

Textbooks, especially for introductory science and math courses, are significantly more expensive than the novels and ethnographies that are available on reserve.

The College's rational behind this unfair policy is that new editions come out too often that the price of buying every required textbook would be prohibitively expensive. Yet, the College does not flinch at the expense of subscribing to dozens of leisure magazines (i.e Vogue, Sports Illustrated, Outside) that pretty much no one reads regularly. Yet, an intro biology…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Provide Pads and Tampons to Students

Over 50% of Middlebury students menstruate, but access to pads and tampons is a huge problem on this isolated campus. While free condoms and lubricant are widely available and always stocked at Parton, pads and tampons are only available for an exorbitant price at MiddExpress or in some machines in bathrooms. Otherwise, students have to go to stores in town, which, when crunched for time or in the midst of winter, can prove difficult. The products are also expensive and are a hidden expense to menstruating students already pressed for money. This is ridiculous. Periods are not a choice, and…

91 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Address The Student Parking Crisis

Middlebury needs to recognize that the lack of student parking options on campus must be addressed. With all due respect to the administration's position that expanding parking for students would encourage more students to bring cars on campus, the simple fact is that freezing temperatures and the lack of access to adequate public transport or nearby train stations incentivizes students to bring cars on campus. When residents of Atwater need to regularly park in CFA because student spots in Atwater Lot, E Lot, and FIC Lot are filled up, that's a problem that needs addressing. When half of the spots…

11 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • Bring Back 4 O'Clock Proc

4 o'clock proc has been a Middlebury staple for years, and now it has disappeared. Not only is it a study space, it is an important part of the meal plan. Stagger the dining hall sessions more between Ross and Proc if it is an issue of staffing. But don't take away this precious tradition, study space, haven.
          We are the middkids.
          We need food.
          We need 4 o'clock proc.

12 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Admin →
          • Erase All Traces of Evidence That The New Logo Existed and Stop Using It

As the Middlebury Campus pointed in their most recent issue, the new logo is awful for myriad reasons. There are two primary reasons why the logo should be eradicated.

The first reason deals with the objectively ugly and displeasing nature of this logo. We will refer to this issue later as the “aesthetic issue.” It is generally an open and shut fact that this is a generally grotesque logo. This disproportionality of the various elements heightens this effect.

The next highly problematic component of the new logo is its overtly corporate subtext. Though we are all independent human beings with…

455 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • 3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Reverse Changes to the New Tailgating Policy

Tailgating provides the only venue in which drinking, school spirit, sports, the Middlebury town community, and alumni can come together on campus. Middlebury tailgates are steeply rooted in tradition, and are fondly remembered and anticipated by the entire extended Middlebury community. Eliminating the consumption of alcohol as well as the enjoyment of music serves as yet another detrimental hit to the Middlebury College social culture which we, the Middlebury student body, would like to reverse for the following reasons:

1. Because tailgating happens in the daylight in a wide, open space with access to food and refreshments, it provides a…

2,576 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear Fellow Students,

Like many of you, I am deeply concerned about the manner in which the recent changes to the tailgating policy were both decided and conveyed to the student body. As a crucial element of this community, the student body should, at the very least, be consulted about changes to college policy. The lack of transparency and student involvement in this process has been both disappointing and troubling.

We in the SGA are currently reaching out to administrators to learn more about how, when, and why the college changed this policy. As we do so, however, it is important that you continue to convey your ideas to us. We have taken notice of the unprecedented level of participation in this petition and are doing what we can to learn more about the policy change. In addition to supporting this petition, though, we also want to give you an…

• Johnson Ball Pit

What was your favorite part of every child's birthday party? Was it the cake? No. The trampoline? NO! It was, of course, the ball pit. Ah, yes, the ball pit, that amazing colorful ocean of plastic spheres.. Diving in to a swimming pool of painless objects always relieved the tension of childhood life.

Think about your life now and how much more stressful it is than when you were seven. School, taxes, relationships. All of that could be washed away in mere minutes in a newly installed adult ball pit in the Johnson Memorial building on campus.

Johnson is a…

197 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Reduce Prices at Midd Express

Midd Express takes advantage of the monopoly status granted to it by the college to drive up prices significantly, charging up to three times the price for the same product as a vendor in town. This hurts students, particularly students on financial aid, who are all but forced to pay high prices, since the college bars other vendors from opening stores on campus to compete. Given this, the college should take a more active stance when negotiating their contract with Midd Express to implement some form of price control to check monopolistic pricing.

225 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 43 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Restock Cereal in Ross

Rumors have been floating around that the Ross dining hall currently does not have a deal with a vendor to restock any dry cereal. Please restock the cereal. There already out of Captain Crunch, Golden Grahams, Corn Pops and are low on Raisin Bran and Magic Stars

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • Offer Italian and Ranch dressings at every meal in Proctor.

Italian and Ranch dressing are staple salad dressings and only appear in Proctor one or two times a week, if that. They are offered at Ross and Atwater consistently every day, whereas at Proctor students are faced with unconventional and often distasteful dressings. Personally, they deter me from eating healthier and choosing a salad because of these unappetizing alternatives. It would be reasonable to permanently incorporate Italian and Ranch dressing into two of the six bottles, and fill the remaining four with whatever creative dressings the dining hall chooses.

21 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Show Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao in Crossroads

On May 2nd we could witness the biggest boxing match of the 21st century. This could be as big as Ali vs. Frazier and boxing was much more popular back then. It would be awesome to watch the bout on the huge screen in Crossroads.

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Printers should be available 24/7

We all have all-nighters at some point and we need to desperately print papers or whatever it is we need to print out by the morning, so it makes sense that printers should be made available at all times. Also, printers should not be placed in inconvenient locations like the one in Munroe because sometimes classes happen in that computer lab and students need to print asap but can't.

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Eliminate Alcohol Citations from Public Safety

Public Safety's primary occupation should be to keep our student body safe and not to blindly enforce regulations. Alcohol citations lead to a climate of fear in which students feel the need to "pre-game" in their rooms before going out to parties. I believe this results in a higher rate of binge drinking, as students feel they must consume a night's worth of drinks in a very short window of time so they don't run the risk of being caught with alcohol at a party.

In addition, stringent alcohol policies can lead to more sexual violence on campus. In many…

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Remove the Cell Phone Cylinders from the Library

The cell phone cylinders do not block any noise and should be removed.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Dr. Pepper at the dining hall fountains

Having Dr. Pepper as one of the options on the dining hall fountain drink machines would be the best. Currently we are only offered Pepsi product soda pop options, which really is unfair, especially considering students can buy fountain Dr. Pepper at The Grille. This shows that the school is able to have Dr. Pepper in it's machine's but chooses to only sell it as opposed to making it available at all the dining hall's. The change would be simple and worth the pleasure and desire of the students.

70 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Cocoa Krispies in the Dining Halls

It is fantastic that the dining halls now have cereal available at all meals, but Middlebury is need of some chocolate love on the cereal front. This petition is to have Middlebury add Cocoa Krispies to the cereal lineup.

11 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Change When We Have to Pay for New Midd IDs

Recently, my ID card stopped working...not because I did anything wrong, but because it somehow got demagnetized. Now I am forced to pay $20 to replace my ID when my old one was working perfectly fine a day ago. I understand that students should have to pay when they lose their ID, but it is ridiculous that they make you pay for something that is not your fault. $20 may not be a lot to some people, but for me it is. They should make cards that can withstand four years here at Middlebury and not say, "Oh it must…

71 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Remove The Terrible Tongs from Dining Halls

The new tongs in the dining halls are an obscene attack on student's wanting to obtain large amounts of food at a time. Try going to Atwater and picking up more than three fries at a time. It simply will not work. This is a formal request to turn back to the days where Midd had larger sized tongs, and where Midd Kids everywhere could obtain obscene amounts of one food without holding up the line.

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)