We the Middkids

Enter your petition below! After writing the title, you will be prompted to enter a more detailed description. The title will appear on the We the Middkids homepage and the description will appear once it is clicked on. Petitions that include profane or offensive content will be removed and the user will be blocked from creating new petitions.

What do you want to change about Middlebury?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Rideshare/Carpooling platform

I propose Middlebury revamps their ride share platform in order to make it more accessible and convenient for students to car pool.

320 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →
    • Trade end of the year printing money in to plant trees

Many seniors end their 4 years at Midd with large amounts of money left over in their printing budget. Because students often feel like the money is there's to spend, they often waste it on large plotter posters and frivolous printing at the end of the year. Since this money has already been allocated to the student, they should have the option to donate their remaining budget to either plant more trees on campus or to donate the money to an organization that plants trees around the world. At the end of the day, the idea of having a printing…

223 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear We the Middkids Users,

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Trade end of the year printing money in to plant trees” has reached the 100 vote threshold, designating it to an “under review” status. It will be shared with the SGA Senate and President Arnowitz will soon record a video response to the issue.

Under review status does NOT yet designate this petition as CLOSED – if you feel strongly about this issue, please encourage your friends to continue adding votes to it! If the SGA decides to pursue legislation or action on the issue, the more support the better!

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
        Anna Esten
        Chief of Staff, Student Government Association

• Trading Market for Printing Credits

Since the College implemented printing credit limits for students three years ago, many students have found they need more paper than what is allocated to them under the existing system. These students are forced to buy at face value additional printing credit in order to complete their school work.
        On the other hand, a number of other students who do not use all of their allocated printing credit are sitting on $50, $70, or in my case +$170 in printing credit that goes unused. These students with surplus printing credit would likely be willing to sell part of their credit…

44 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Trading Market for Printing Credits” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
          Anna Esten

• Change the music in Crossroads/The Grille

If I hear one more acoustic cover of some classic rock standard, one more John Mayer song, one more delicate, easy-listening track from a CD sold in Starbucks, I think I might explode. I get it; they want the space to be like a cozy coffee house. But Sirius XM's "The Coffeehouse" is industrial, impersonal, and soothes its listeners into thirtysomething, upper-middle class complacency and, dare I say, political quietude.
          It's insufferable. If we want McCullough to be a true student center, its soundtrack should be something Middlebury students actually want to listen to. There happens to be a radio…

34 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Change the music in Crossroads/The Grille” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
            Anna Esten

• 10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “More access to instruments and rehearsal space, in particular drum sets” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
              Anna Esten

• Find a sustainable solution for feeding Proctor cat

Proctor cat is hoarding dishes and dining hall food. Is there any way we can endow a fund for stray cats? Or find Proctor cat a home?

25 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Find a sustainable solution for feeding Proctor cat” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
                Anna Esten

• Extend gym hours til at least midnight!

It is a little baffling to me that the gym closes so early. Middlebury students are very active, but busy at the same time. It can get really difficult to make time to go to the gym when students need to do their homework (and are responsible for other activities such as campus jobs). I also think that it would be extremely helpful for all students if the gym stays open until at least midnight so people can take a break from doing homework and studying. It would not only increase campus fitness and health, but students' productivity.

155 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Extend gym hours til at least midnight!” has reached the 100 vote threshold, designating it to an “under review” status. It will be shared with the SGA Senate and President Arnowitz will soon record a video response to the issue.

Under review status does NOT yet designate this petition as CLOSED – if you feel strongly about this issue, please encourage your friends to continue adding votes to it! If the SGA decides to pursue legislation or action on the issue, the more support the better!

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
                  Anna Esten

• Improve the to go box situation please!!

Let's be honest- the dish situation in the dining halls has not gotten any better even with to go boxes. There are still not enough plates. Ideally everyone would eat in the dining hall for every meal, but life just doesn't work out that way and Middkids are very busy. The to go box system has been ineffective at addressing the dish situation because of four very obvious flaws.

1) Increase the to go box size. The to go boxes are ludicrously small! It's impossible to have a reasonable meal with them. If you want to have a salad with…

12 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
                  • Put the Catholic Church on the school map

The big stone Catholic church that's right on college street is nowhere to be found on the official map of Middlebury. Let's put it there so that Catholic students interested in Middlebury will know that there's a church right on campus that they can go to.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Put the Catholic Church on the school map” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
                      Anna Esten

• Improve and formalize teacher/class evaluations

Everyone who enters college quickly learns that teachers make classes. You will always get more out of a random class taught by a legend than the most perfect-sounding class taught by someone incompetent. I'm tired of having at least one class each semester ruined by a terrible teacher, only to find out later that a friend took the class earlier and had the same experience. MiddKid is inconsistent and often inaccurate. We need a better course and teacher evaluation site, and in my opinion one that aggregates and incorporates the simple data from the obligatory evals (I learned a great…

97 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voting and commenting on We the Middkids! The petition “Improve and formalize teacher/class evaluations” has been active for over 3 weeks, and is now closed.

The content of this petition was brought up at the most recent Senate meeting.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
                        Anna Esten

• Better Student ID

Our college ID card looks like it was made by a 6-year old with a potato stamp. There were several instances when people refused to believe it was a student ID - museums, cinemas, transport, etc... And you cannot use it to buy alcohol in town (unlike Yale ID in New Haven for example). It just says STUDENT. I am sure there are enough talented students who could design a legit looking ID card that could be used internationally.

477 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear We the MiddKids supporters,

New ID designs are done and will be printed for the incoming Feb class! Working with Bill Burger in the Communications Office, a few students and I gave input into the new designs, which now includes an expiration date. There has also been significant effort to prevent fading and improve the general quality of the cards. We’re not yet sure if new cards will be printed for all current students, but it is something that Mr. Burger is trying to make happen!

Thanks so much for your suggestions, votes, and support.

Karina Toy
                          Sophomore Senator

• Offer a weekly burrito bar in Proctor.

Imagine walking into Proctor for dinner and seeing everyone avoiding the unappetizing health-nut food that results in everyone grabbing a tortilla, tossing in some cheese and throwing it on the panini maker. Let's be realistic and admit that this happens at least twice per week. Imagine instead everyone piling up where the quinoa line used to be and, to your surprise, see that everyone is instead enjoying the regional cuisine from our neighbor to the south--and I don't mean Massachusetts. Sure, Proctor throws out some tortillas, ground beef, and refried beans every once in a while for lunch. But I…

103 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                          • Château Moat

The Château is castle; however, it has no moat. If we would like to call the Château 'the Château', it must ultimately have a moat. This would not only provide aesthetic appeal, but also recreational possibilities, creation of new jobs in a weak economy, protection from enemies, and a possibility for species remediation such as endangered alligators. We believe that a moat would greatly improve staff-student relationships by acting as an exciting conversation starter and a project that involves everyone community-wide. The introduction of a drawbridge would additionally create architectural variety on campus that would mirror the incredible diversity of…

384 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →
                            • Don't allow Public Safety into student dorm rooms without explicit invitation

At other colleges, such as Bryn Mawr, campus police are not allowed to enter into campus dorms except when explicitly invited. This allows Public Safety to carry out all of their tasks related to student safety (so they can still enter into dorms when someone needs help e.g.) but not invade student privacy in an attempt to police the student body (e.g. entering student rooms without permission and rifling through possessions). This would also lead to better relations between the student body and Public Safety, enabling them to actually keep the campus safe more effectively.

262 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Incorporate Weekly Aqua Zumba into the Zumba Schedule

Zumba on Sundays is very popular, but it would be even more fun to incorporate AquaZumba into the regular schedule, perhaps a couple times a semester. The pool is big enough to hold a moderate crowd and it would be fun to have the variety!

156 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

AquaZumba?! Wow. We have been missing out.

Unfortunately, we are not connected to the Zumba community, nor do we know any one who is! President Liddell suggests getting in contact with the Sunday teacher to investigate the chances of getting AquaZumba. Please e-mail us at (sga@middlebury.edu) and we’d be happy to get in contact with someone.

Perhaps Erin Quinn, Director of Athletics (quinn@middlebury.edu) could help as well.

The SGA would be happy to look into supporting AquaZumba, should it become possible for the teacher and for the facility.

Rachel promises to wear her swimsuit until the day that AquaZumba is available.

Let’s do this,
                                  Jake Nonweiler
                                  Chief of Staff, SGA

• More Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Especially in Proctor)

Although the dining halls serve chocolate chip pancakes every once in a while, I think many people would love it if they were served more often. Judging from midnight breakfast in Ross, they're more popular than regular pancakes, and to the best of my knowledge they are no more difficult to make. Show your support!

50 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →
                                  • Replace the 4 types of yogurt in the dining hall with one plain greek yogurt

the current local cabot yogurt, although delicious, is absolutely not nutritious (19.0 grams of sugar in one serving of strawberry yogurt as opposed to 10.5 grams in one serving of plain greek yogurt). Less sugar, more protein.

66 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add bubble tea option at Crossroads

Who wouldn't appreciate having the option of getting bubble tea at Crossroads? It's delicious!!

130 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Admin →

Yahoo! Crossroads has bubble/boba tea!

We’re thrilled this initiative became a reality and doubly as happy that Crossroads listened to the fantastic idea.

Onward,
                                        Jake Nonweiler
                                        Chief of Staff, SGA

• Replace salsa in Proctor

The salsa in Proctor tastes terrible and needs to be replaced with something good.

32 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Replace Orange-Pineapple Flavor Ice Cream

Replace this universally unloved flavor with the flavors that always run out because they're so popular (e.g. cookie dough, chocolate brownie, cookies and cream, etc.).

188 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your initiative! Geez, we agree that the “orange-pineapple” flavor is less than ideal. Rachel’s a cookies ’n cream type of president.

We appreciate your thoughts and would encourage you to contact dining services through one of the suggestions/comments form. They are always listening. Please do cite the petition and let them know that the SGA is fully behind the initiative to at least get chocolate brownie more often. Your thoughts will be most valuable shared directly with dining services.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything we can do or if want to share a Sunday Sundae with Madam President.

Jake Nonweiler
                                            Chief of Staff

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

We the Middkids

Feedback and Knowledge Base