What do you want to change about Middlebury?

Scholarships should not Reduce Financial Aid

At the moment, if a student is awarded an outside scholarship for tuition, that same amount is subtracted from the student's financial aid. This is not right. A student's effort to obtain a scholarship should not be negated by the college with a reduction in financial aid. We should be allowed to keep our scholarships.

Respectfully submitted,

Senator Karina Toy

Campus Article: http://middleburycampus.com/article/give-me-my-scholarship/

326 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Karina shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminMiddlebury SGA (Admin, Middlebury SGA) responded  · 

Dear We the MiddKids supporters,

After meeting with the Student Financial Services Office multiple times, I have decided this is not something that I can pursue any further. I have learned that as a need-blind and need-based institution that does not award merit scholarships, Middlebury cannot “over award” students under federal law. This is why outside scholarships first reduce the Federal Work Study or College Job portion of a financial aid package, then the College or Perkins Loan, and then finally, the Middlebury grant. If this is still an issue that concerns you, I encourage you to set up a meeting with Jacqueline Davies in the Student Financial Services Office!

Thank you so much for all your support and please feel free to let me know if there are any other issues that concern you related to financial aid at Middlebury.

Karina Toy
    Sophomore Senator

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service